The ESP8266 is a popular Wi-Fi module widely used in Internet of Things (IoT) projects and wireless communication applications. Understanding the ESP8266 Pinout is essential for proper connection and utilization in circuit designs.
Let’s explore the ESP8266 pinout in detail.
The ESP8266 module typically consists of several pins that serve different functions. The specific pinout configuration may vary slightly depending on the module variant or development board used. Here is a general overview of the commonly used pins in the ESP8266:
GPIO (General Purpose Input/Output) Pins: These pins are used for general-purpose digital input and output operations. They can be configured as either input or output depending on the requirements of the project.
- VCC: This pin is used to supply power to the ESP8266 module. It typically requires a 3.3V power source.
- GND: This pin is connected to the ground (0V) reference.
- UART (Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter) Pins:
- TX: This pin is used for serial data transmission from the ESP8266 module.
- RX: This pin is used for serial data reception by the ESP8266 module.
- Reset (RST) Pin: This pin is used to reset the ESP8266 module. Pulling the RST pin to LOW momentarily resets the module.
- SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface) Pins:
- MOSI: Master Output Slave Input pin for SPI communication.
- MISO: Master Input Slave Output pin for SPI communication.
- SCLK: Serial Clock pin for SPI communication.
- CS/SS: Chip Select/Slave Select pin for SPI communication.
- I2C (Inter-Integrated Circuit) Pins:
- SDA: Serial Data pin for I2C communication.
- SCL: Serial Clock pin for I2C communication.
It is important to consult the specific datasheet or pinout diagram of the ESP8266 module you are using to ensure accurate pinout connection.
Where to Buy ESP8266
JacobsParts ESP8266 ESP-12F WiFi Microcontroller USB Development Board NodeMCU MicroPython
Wemos D1 Mini V3.0.0 WiFi Internet of Things Development Board Based ESP8266 CH340 CH340G 4MB for Arduino Nodemcu V2 MicroPython
Wireless Module NodeMCU CP2102 V3 Board Based ESP8266 Type-C WiFi IOT Internet of Things Development Board
Mega+WiFi R3 ATmega2560+ESP8266 32M Memory USB-TTL CH340G Compatible for Arduino Mega NodeMCU ESP8266
DC 5V/12V ESP8266 Relay Shield Module V2 for WeMos D1 Mini ESP8266 Development Board for WeMos D1 Mini Relay Module for Arduino
KeeYees 3pcs ESP8266 WiFi Development Board with 2pcs Mini Breakout Board
Features of ESP8266 Module
- Wi-Fi connectivity for wireless communication and internet connectivity.
- Low-cost and low-power consumption.
- Integrated TCP/IP protocol stack for easy networking.
- Extensive firmware support and libraries for easy development.
- Support for multiple networking modes, including Access Point (AP) and Station (STA).
- Easy integration with microcontrollers and development boards.
Specifications of ESP8266 Module
- Microcontroller: Tensilica Xtensa LX106
- Operating Voltage: 3.3V
- Wi-Fi Standards: 802.11 b/g/n
- Wireless Range: Up to several hundred meters, depending on external factors
- GPIO Pins: Varies depending on the module variant (typically 8-17 pins available)
- Flash Memory: Varies depending on the module variant (typically 512KB to 4MB)
Equivalent ICs of ESP8266 Module
ESP8285: This is a variant of the ESP8266 module with built-in flash memory. It offers similar features and ESP8266 Pinout.
ESP32: This is a more advanced microcontroller module that offers Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity. While the pinout configuration differs from the ESP8266, it provides similar functionalities and capabilities.
These equivalent ICs provide similar functionality and can be used as alternatives or upgrades to the ESP8266, depending on specific project requirements and component availability.
- Floating Gate Transistor: Best Features & Applications
- TIP120 Transistor Pinout, Datasheet and Equivalent
- ESP8266 Pinout: A Comprehensive Guide to the GPIO Pins
- Transistors BC547: Important Guide to Pinout
- C1815 Datasheet: Important Features to Know About
Subscribe to our Newsletter “Electrical Insights Daily” to get the latest updates in Electrical Engineering. You can also Follow us LinkedIn and Facebook to see our latest posts on Electrical Engineering Topics.